August 20, 2008

Quote of the Day




"Nothing is ever really lost, or can be lost......
The body, sluggish, aged, cold--the embers left from earlier fires,
The light in the eye grown dim, shall duly flame again..."
-- Walt Whitman


The quote above is not only from Walt Whitman's poem"Continuities", but also from the movie, The Notebook, which was playing the other night on ABC Family. :-)  I think I've seen The Notebook 15+ times, and I fall in love with it each and every time. Call me an old sap. I don't know, it just always pulls me in. Just a great love story. A simple story really. And yes, how'd you guess, I did shed a small little tear at the end.  :-)

Okay, I totally acknowledge how girly I'm getting right now, but just bear with me. 

So what really tugs at the ol' heart strings, in addition to the great writing overall, is the combination of the musical interludes and the videography. The opening just sets the tone. A piano plays simply and softly. The sun rises over a lake. A man rows his boat along the calm waters. Birds fly through the sky towards a beautiful mansion. Just perfect.

See for yourself - 



Come on, doesn't your heart warm up just a little bit, without even seeing our two main characters on screen yet? Okay, so maybe it's just me. I hate to admit it, but I unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) still believe in the happily ever after, in the great love stories. Maybe they're a little harder to recognize in these more cynic times, where people are more prone to a cynic mind (myself included sometimes). But deep down, like I said, I'm just a big idealistic hopeful sap.

And by the way, I dream of that house in the movie. In another life I'd like to live in a house just like that. But instead of it sitting by a lake in North Carolina, I'd rather it sit within walking distance of the oceans of Hawaii.


A dreamer, I am.

Good night.

No comments: